Restrictions KILL This Game - General Rant and Raving About This Game

Page 2 of 3     123

Posted May 14 2016 - 00:21
You can't stop weaker players from trying to take acres otherwise they would be unable to advance. If you want to hold onto it defend it.

@pavlovs_dog -- Although what you say is true, my point is this. If youre gonna have RESTRICTIONS on EVERYTHING in force them properly. If something contributed to your score, it should be protected by the "2/3 to 1/3 points" Restriction. In K1 you should be learning the game anyways. If Mission 30 is capture an acre, that's when acres should become available to capture, not at level 5 or any level before that.

Personally I think this whole "points" thing is ridiculous anyways. If youre gonna keep the points they should only be visible to you or, at the very least, not used as an hindrance to attacking. They should simply be an indicator of where you are at in the game. Nothing more nothing less. You have 30,000 pionts, you rank 10th out of 100.

Clans should also be there to help you out as a new player and returning K1 Players should be indicated as such. <--- That could also help cut down on clan domination as you would be able to see that Players 1 - 10 in clan Chasity Belt are seasoned players in K1 and are dominating the board. Profile Visible Ranks to be added to post.

@Haphazard -- I dont mind you having all the government locations. Having one means that your going to be a target and you better know how to defend it. If you dont defend it well, tough tah tahs to you. But with the "2/3rd to 1/3rds point" restriction that probably means that a level 16 with 5000 points could attack and you cant dont anything but wait for an attack and send in reinforcements (hopefully they get there on time) <--AKA doesnt seem right or logical for that matter.
Posted May 15 2016 - 18:17
Nice
Posted May 16 2016 - 06:09
From what I understand...this is a simple case of misunderstanding that has evolved into a rave.
First of all, thanks to the OP to make it a constructive post and not "OMG!!I can't do anything! I don't like it >.<" kind of thing.

Here's a reply which I think clears up some of the problems :

You need to fix your attacking system :
--Botch the whole POINT thing or include acres in protection of restriction <- Point system is Working as Intended. However, its is also under consideration...

--Base on level alone <- Not viable, since level isn't directly proportional, or even remotely represents your towns capabilities or facilities.

--Points should only be visible to the player, no one else <- When a level 10 owns a really huge army of militia without considering anything else(lets say just for the "lulz", I'm pretty sure he'll be around top 5, and there will be a huge pile of bug/hax reports against him). Besides, seeing the points of others saves you from getting frustrated by constantly seeing the protection rules.

--As soon as an attack is set on a player/player's acre, retaliation should be accessible no matter the points or level. <- Same answer, towns have restriction against bullying, Acres under consideration.

--If attack land, player should be able to retaliate at least 3-7 times or until a PAID white flag is given. <- Peace treaty ? Idea sounds nice...

--If a little guy wants to poke a big bear, let him do so. He should learn his place or prove his worth. <- This'll just add to the original problem of big vs small(pesky) towns
--------------------------------

As for Acres...

Sentries are a reasonably helpful against aggressive operations. This can be verified by a simple field-test.
And as for acres, in my opinion building modifier would be abused to bunker-spam anything.
-------------------------------

Auctions are subjected to change. These changes are based on general use, and player feedback.

The cheat workaround in the original post is a known exploit. Remember that resources are being constantly monitored, both by humans and machines. Any town constantly sending resources will be caught. And as we all know, cheaters/exploiters aren't known for their common sense/logic ;)

As for Auction restrictions, they are Working as Intended. The moment auctions are given a cancel/refund button, everyone will instantly use the new system as a bank.
--------------------------------

Restrictions List/Guide is a good idea. Could be a nice addition to the Guide and the "Strategy" section of the forum.

Swearing is already decided upon. See the Forum rules by Ronald, which can be found here : http://www.the-outbreak.com/forum/read_topic.php?id=1
Excerpt from the same :

"12. Language
This is not too much of a problem, talk how you want, but please do not overdo the swearing. We understand this is a game, and some people might do some role-playing. If this gets out of hand, censors will be added to block out swear words."

However, flaming/harassing/trolling are still offences which will be graciously rewarded with an insta/perma/temp-ban(depending on severity).

Kansas 1 already has restrictions which are Working as Intended.

Forums are being developed along with the game. Since it's built from pure scratch, it'll take some time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted May 16 2016 - 08:47
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the reply.

Gonna start from the bottom and go up and fix when it's not 2 AM -- Just dont want to lose my thoughts right now.

Forums are being developed along with the game. Since it's built from pure scratch, it'll take some time. <--- Look into Zetaboards. Seriously. Much better. And it's free.

http://www.the-outbreak.com/forum/read_topic.php?id=1 <-- The list of rules is all fine and dandy but a report button on the profile is really needed. Faster processing. Faster Filing. Faster of Handling of issues.

Restrictions List/Guide is a good idea. Could be a nice addition to the Guide and the "Strategy" section of the forum <-- Great. Discovering these is kinda of annoying... and frustrating.

-----

Auctions are subjected to change. These changes are based on general use, and player feedback. <--- Everyone provide Feedback RIGHT NOW!

Auctions are hella hard to use sometimes, especially when calculating in current market value. When people thing auction they think, Ebay. Cash on return, reserve values, and a cancel button. I'm not positive what you mean by it turning into a bank, but I believe a fix to that would be a cancellation fee and limit of when you can cancel. Like you can't cancel the hour before an auction is finished.

----

Sentries still feel like they do jack. Maybe my OP Level is just too good.
I can forgo the build mod :P

------

The point system is not working as intended if it is going to be changed next season. You can't possibly say that when this is the main reason for complaints and a driving factor in which people end up leaving this game, next to the restrictions.

Base on level alone <- Not viable, since level isn't directly proportional, or even remotely represents your towns capabilities or facilities.<--- Um... Thats the point. Not knowing is a perfect reason to use my special ops. Also cuts down on all the math I have to do.

EXAMPLE OF APPLICATION:
---Cant attack players level 1 to 15 and they cant attack me less their protection end. ---- K. Gotta make sure to protect the newbies unless the think they cool cool.
---Can attack as High as I want noting that they have some retaliation power. -- Check, dont mess with big guys too much unless I find a real dumb one.
---Can only attack 4 - 10 below starting at level 25. 15 and below is equal or higher. ---- Should keep players within unit range of each other. By level 15 you have bikers, by level 25 you should have soldiers and so should every one around you. By level 36, you should have morters but they give you the hindrance of no surprise attack so that pretty much levels the playing field to soldiers.

Leveled Battling systems have worked and can work here. You just need to do like Elsa and Let the Point system Go. (Be free my children)

Points should only be visible to the player, no one else <- When a level 10 owns a really huge army of militia without considering anything else(lets say just for the "lulz", I'm pretty sure he'll be around top 5, and there will be a huge pile of bug/hax reports against him). Besides, seeing the points of others saves you from getting frustrated by constantly seeing the protection rules <--- Leveled protection would help this. Even placing the words "NEWBIE PROTECTED" on them would help. And WHAT? that just underlies another problem with the point system of a newbie can make top 10 with militia. Top 10 should be based on points eared from battles and capture points. You lose an acre you go down in points, you win a government instillation, you go up in points. Just more reason why the point system DOESNT work.

--As soon as an attack is set on a player/player's acre, retaliation should be accessible no matter the points or level. <- Same answer, towns have restriction against bullying, Acres under consideration.

--If attack land, player should be able to retaliate at least 3-7 times or until a PAID white flag is given. <- Peace treaty ? Idea sounds nice...
<-- These 2 should have really been 1 point all together. As soon as an attack is set on an Acre/Town, a person should be able to retaliate (with ops if they are really low player that doesnt know better) until a paid white flag is given. The payment should go to Judge Judy, court adjourned. JK JK. Should go to the person they are paying off to stop the attacks, unlike where ever bounty pay offs go (another thing that needs to be fixed in my opinion, the government could even take a part of it).

--If a little guy wants to poke a big bear, let him do so. He should learn his place or prove his worth. <- This'll just add to the original problem of big vs small(pesky) towns <--- dont put pesky town in your guild if you cant fight back against them.

----

I think I've address most of youre response and thanks again for replying. Glad you like some of my ideas, hope to see them in the game soon.

Anyways, I think this game could be really good with basic improvements that similar games have. Though the restrictions seem to also be a big hindrance. They seem to have been place to prevent things that all games have (I guess thats how I wanna word that. IDK) or prevent the unknown or possibility of "this or that" happening in a certain way that the creator didnt intend. IDK they are just straight up excessive to me and with the level of responses from different players, others agree.

Also some unaddressed points in the original post and an addition while youre here:
---Indicator of return players to K1 <-- to prevent clan domating the board with all seasoned players
---Why doesnt the buy out bounty money go to the player who placed it? They didnt get what they wanted done if it gets bought out.
Posted May 16 2016 - 18:49
Sounds like the moderator simply said there is nothing big guys can do do the little guys who mess with us. Kind of ridiculous and making me re-think playing once this round is over.

It is pretty simple...if you are attacked/spec ops/ acre attacked, you should be able to attack back or do at least something.

The imbalance in this game is kinda crazy all around. Half the operations are useless and some kinda op.
Posted May 16 2016 - 21:54
Extreamly agree with this topic.
Posted May 16 2016 - 22:34
Original Updated
My Mod Response Updated

Keep'em coming. Spread the word.
The more you talk about it, the more of an issue it is.
(^This also applies to politics^)
Posted May 17 2016 - 03:01
Secondary Response

"Also some unaddressed points in the original post and an addition while youre here:
---Indicator of return players to K1 <-- to prevent clan domating the board with all seasoned players
---Why doesnt the buy out bounty money go to the player who placed it? They didnt get what they wanted done if it gets bought out."

-----
Kansas 1 is the most "protective" area. Seasoned players are no older than half a dozen rounds. Excerpt from the guide :

"Beginner
We advice you to join this area if you have just started playing this game.
Only player with the 'Starter' title can join this area. So you will not have to deal with experienced players.

- The amount of acres each town can own is limited to 4.
- Only 'Starters' can join this area.
- Winter seasons are pretty mild. "

The "Starter" point requirement is pretty low, if someone plays like a real pro, he/she will be point-locked out of the Kansas 1 area in around 3 rounds. Clans are a different issue, people follow who's at the top. So you can expect the 1st or 2nd player to lead the largest and most powerful clan.
----

Bounties aren't held by the player, its done by the Government. Lets assume someone is actively running the Government. Govt. charges some money to host the bounty. When a generous/sympathetic soul wants too put the poor soul out of its misery, Govt. charges more money to bring down the bounty. The Govt. is the real person gaining here. And since its miserly, it doesn't pay the player who placed it...
(This story pretty much sums up why bounties work the way they do, they are Working as Intended)
----

And as for the Clan domination of Installations, a limit could be considered if it gets too much out of hand(if it hasn't already)
Posted May 17 2016 - 03:45
No more neffing just fix the point system, and also crack down on Mult account user, im pretty sure there is alot of them in k2
Posted May 17 2016 - 06:22
K I had heard some where that some players and stay in K1 and it sounded like seasoned vets.

Bounties aren't held by the player, its done by the Government. Lets assume someone is actively running the Government. Govt. charges some money to host the bounty. When a generous/sympathetic soul wants too put the poor soul out of its misery, Govt. charges more money to bring down the bounty. The Govt. is the real person gaining here. And since its miserly, it doesn't pay the player who placed it...
(This story pretty much sums up why bounties work the way they do, they are Working as Intended)
<--- Um ok bounties are held by the government but bought, paid, requested, and filled by players. Seems to me that all the government is a money changer and bulletin board. But if its gonna be that way, dont tell me about it then. Just a rub in the face then.
Posted May 18 2016 - 10:43

Thank you all for your input and especially a good opening post on this topic to start the discussion :)

We have been discussing this issues with the team and we are going to change some things for next round. We will closely consider the input suggested here. We do not want to change the game mechanics to much during the round, since it could affect people's chosen strategy and cause unfairness.

Also for next round, we want to create a seperate protection system for the different kind of levels we have. Also we are going to introduce a level where no attacking restrictions are applied at all, only the rush protection.

By giving players a choice which area and setting they join we hope we can satisfy most players, ofcourse we cannot fullfill everyones wish.

Also we can use some more help in moderating everything since we have a very small team now.

If you think you can help us, please sent me a private message.

Posted May 18 2016 - 21:04
Thanks again mods for the reply.
Glad you like my post, as many others have (by the varying replies)
Glad to hear some of my, as well as others, ideas are being applied.

As I've said before, this game is pretty good. With improvements this game could be so much better, on par or better than a big dev team game or incentivized pay to play game. I have yet to see a "Pay 4.99 and get State Senator status or supplies" <-- which in my opinion doesnt really matter but is annoying when you see it every where or on things you wish you could use. It's like dont show it to me if I can't use it. Anyways, point is youre doing pretty good for a donations dev team of like 4 mods, I think. You could probably do a PayPal for Wildcards in addition to the 3 day research center. Wouldnt hurt.

Anywyas back to the post.

Also we can use some more help in moderating everything since we have a very small team now. If you think you can help us, please sent me a private message
--Im probably not the best person to mod.... off topic, easily pissed. This post was just a result of being in the middle of these two and took me a while to write. :P Hopefully you'll find some good people. Though a reporting system and http://www.zetaboards.com/--->Zetaboards (or something like it) would really help you out *hint hint, Wink Wink, nudge nudge, shamalama moo moo*

Also for next round, we want to create a separate protection system for the different kind of levels we have. Also we are going to introduce a level where no attacking restrictions are applied at all, only the rush protection.By giving players a choice which area and setting they join we hope we can satisfy most players, of course we cannot fulfill everyones wish.
-- Cool beans. That sounds good. Hopefully a color code for protected areas or some major indicator, but what eves. I dont think we're expect ya'll to satisfy everyone. Just a matter of familiarity from other like minded browser games and functionality, as well as reasoning/explanations on why this is like this (AKA its gotta make sense to the player cause essentially youre here to please them with your game). You guys do a pretty good job for such a small team.

Lastly,
We have been discussing this issues with the team and we are going to change some things for next round. We will closely consider the input suggested here. We do not want to change the game mechanics too much during the round, since it could affect people's chosen strategy and cause unfairness.
---OOOOooooo Cool. Changing after the round would be fine for most people I would think or at least early on. But I must say, you guys do kinda baby the players a lot and by that I mean, I see a lot of "dont want to do this b/c it could effect the players in which they could see as unfair." As devs, this is your game and you have the right to do what you want with it. Whether that be burn it to the ground or sell it off or whatever, this is your baby. But being a product for the people, it is highly suggested that you listen to them but also do what is best for them whether they understand it or not (which is ever good explaining and forum set up comes in). That all being said, strategy is meant to be changed and adaptive. Games change, players adapt, feedback is provided (or not depending on how good the game is). How else are you going to make this game better if you dont change things, test things, beta test things. Players are just guinea pigs for your game. Use them.

Pssst.... http://www.forum-software.org/forum-reviews <--- look at it.... really help out the forums and probably cut down on mods needing to respond to pre-existing forums, like with the wildcards or the point system. It's top user recommended forums system is "MyBB" and it says that you can convert pre-existing forums to its server. And its benefits look awesome, but I've never used it. Looks great though and the converting is a big plus for you.
Posted May 18 2016 - 21:32
(Also we can use some more help in moderating everything since we have a very small team now.) DiD Most Of your team quit Ronald

Page 2 of 3     123