unit

Posted August 16 2017 - 15:12
could there be a flamethrower unit added at some point
Posted August 16 2017 - 16:33
I think thats too much Dx
Posted August 16 2017 - 20:09
There are countless forum posts about new units. We are getting new game features and even aggressive NPC's, I am happy with what we have.
Here is a previous post about the idea of new units. I gave my ideas there, so did several others. https://www.the-outbreak.com/forum/read_topic.php?id=364

Here is what I said:
Looking at this forum I personally see some good ideas, and some not so good. As for more military grade units and tech this just can’t be, Kansas only has two army forts, and one air force base. Three national guard armories (in game would be four). As of now the population of Kansas is about two million people, with some quick calculations I have determined that there is roughly 35 civilians to every active solder. This would mean that military grade weaponry wouldn’t be available to everybody. So the fact of heavy military units is a low possibility. Yet reinforced civil weaponry isn’t as farfetched. There is a decent number of civilian airports in Kansas. So some form of aircraft might be conceivable, but this would cost massive amounts of fuel. As well as an armoured diesel truck that would be good for convoys or transportation would be a very realistic implement.

To this point I have been mentioning vehicles and not units, there is a reason for that. By the time The Outbreak takes place some military positions would be constructed and thus having a greater military presence. This is even seen the story that is behind the game. For those who don’t know the story behind The Outbreak, here is a fast crash course. In the near future a deadly virus breaks out in America, and in return America closed its borders. The government has a hard time keeping people safe and the civil structure intact. So the only ones fit for survival were the ones that live. So with that being said I would expect several civilians units to appear. The savage world would make for some hardy fighters. In the event of civilian raiders capturing and stealing from a government armoury is a possibility. As I read, someone suggested a medic this would be more than a great addition, for both military and civilians have access to medical personals doctors, nurses, even vets could become medics. As of now there is only two civil units that can be recruited a militia and policeman, which both would make sense the world of the game. But a whole population would fit into more categories than just militia or policeman. Surely some people will show more aptitude for combat. Riot police, firemen, mercenaries, first responders, even a hunter are all civic positions which would provide more adequateness in combat than handing a random man a gun tell him to fight. So the point I’m trying to make, It would be nice to see more units in the game. Not even regular units, maybe more special units that can be picked at town set up. There is fine select of troops right now, just kinda worn out and generic.

Here is the units I would suggest with stats that makes the most adequate since in the game,
Civil)
Raider
Attack, 5. Defense, 2.
Cost: 750 cash. 200 food. 1 population.
Medium death rate. Medium kill rate.
No special.

Seasoned Hunter
Attack, 4. Defense, 3.
Cost: 600 cash. 200 food. 1 population.
Medium death rate. High kill rate.
Special: low upkeep.

Specialized)
Medic
Attack 1, Defense, 2.
Cost: 2000 cash. 800 food.
Low death rate. Very low kill rate.
Special: reduces the how many units die after battle by 0.03%, per medic. Take 2 unit spaces in vehicle.

Specialized, Picked)
Shock Soldier, variant of soldier.
Attack 8, Defense, 6.
Cost: 1750 cash. 750, food.
Low death rate. High kill rate.
No Special
Posted August 18 2017 - 14:41
ofcourse addind new units is awesome, but they need to add something to the game. So what kind of new features would bring a flamethrowing unit?
Posted August 18 2017 - 16:47
The flamethrower could be an aggressive unit that is effective at killing enemy troops but is can be easily killed, It could also destroy enemy buildings during an attack, but is not nearly as effective as the mortars. If You were to win an attack on a town as well as taking some of the town resoucses you will also burn some of the town stock piled resource depending on how many are still alive after the attack. They should also coast fuel for every attack
Posted August 18 2017 - 21:46
- extremally effective in destroying units hidden in trenches.
- very effective vs. slow units like mortars.
- very effective in destroying buildings including defensive structures.
- crap vs. fast and mobile units like bikers/quads.
- crap vs. ranged units like snipers, soldiers and so on.
- high kill ratio
- medium die ratio
- low attack / defence score
Posted August 19 2017 - 00:22
Alright, so I did some quick research on flamethrowers, and did a bit on mortars as well while comparing weight. The flamethrower would probably have the same travel penalty that the mortars have as flamethrowers seem to have a similar weight to mortars that would be carried by teams. Light and Medium mortars (which is what seems to be used in the images for the mortar teams and variants) seem weigh anywhere from about 4 Kg (9 lbs) to about 60 Kg (132 lbs) while flamethrowers that are used by infantry seem to weigh around 27 Kg (60 lbs) to about 33 Kg (72 lbs).

They would probably also have a somewhat high or even very high death rate when agents or soldiers and their unique counterparts are present as persons carrying flamethrowers were typically easily spotted due to the bulk of the tanks or backpack which carried the fuel, and were often targeted by snipers when spotted. Not to mention that the range weapon was shorter than most other weapons, making the operator vulnerable to enemy fire. Surprisingly, cases of where bullets hit the backpack and cause an explosion are rare as the fuel used needs to have something to help ignite it, most cases where it's occurred has been from explosions or from incendiary rounds from what I can find.

The weapon also apparently is very limited by fuel as it gets used very quickly, usually only allowing the operator to use the weapon for a number of seconds (typically the weapon is used in short controlled bursts or spurts, so it doesn't get used all at once) before the fuel is gone - they'd probably take a lot of fuel if brought along to a fight and would only really be useful for destroying initial defenses and units, anything after and they'd probably be out of fuel and can't really do much.

Oddly enough, the flamethrower seems to be only really safe when being used from a trench, thus giving me the impression that the base unit would have low stats but could improved using a unique unit. Thankfully, it would be easy to come up with a replacement unit as flamethrowers were often mounted to armored vehicles to help counter their flaws, that would help eliminate the speed penalty and grant it a bit more attack allowing you to better use its destructive power against enemy town's defenses. Due to the potential replacement unit being an flamethrower mounted armored car, it technically wouldn't need to be carried in a vehicle either.

Hope some of that's useful or interesting, would be pretty neat to see a flamethrower. Though I imagine that some things will need to be altered for balance reasons and such, otherwise it could easily become quite broken.
Posted August 19 2017 - 14:55
this could be the cost to hire one
2000-cash
1000-food
5000-fuel