Forum

CT: :

New Game Mode

Posted May 16 2018 - 06:28
Alright so, this is an idea not to huge but it's an idea. Instead of the smaller scale, round orientated rounds and maps, why not a very larger map that has no round limit?

Okay, so the first complaint would be that some people would become way to powerful, or a clan would.

Well, that would be one of the points, allowing people to work together to try and expand their influence across the map, creating essentially an Empire. Which would create interesting politics, wars, and diplomacy.

Now, of course, to let people be able to at least get up there somewhat and build themselves up, the map would have to be VERY big, allowing so much space, acres, and so on, that people will still be able to expand and build up to somewhat of a level. And, people still won't be able to become way to overpowered, as they would still produce units at their town and it would be hard to keep massive areas under total control because of transport times.

Now, as for special zones, like the military base, missile silo, capital, etc. to make it interesting, there would be much more of these spread out, I'm thinking something like 12 missile silos, 10 military bases, 5 fairgrounds, and, instead of capital cities their are just major cities that give the same current benifits, and I'd say there should be at least 35 of them.

As for the map size, surely above 200 map areas or squares.

And of course, there would be no round setup.

I think this gamemode would be pretty interesting and spawn massive Empires and smaller ones who interact with one another very interestingly
Posted May 16 2018 - 08:20
Yeah, playing game not limited by 2 months rounds would be great, but it cant be done just by making huge map and let ppl do what they want with hope that wars and diplomacy will balance everything. It will not work.
There are needed some game mechanics to refresh things and make competition more equally and accessible for everyone in long term. Something more soft and less definitive than this normal round reset, but still.
I would use game events as way to smuggle some kind of resets. So for example, some really serious (not like these current) bandits waves retaking most of acres in game, government interventions retaking facilities, some acres getting depleted and gone from map so some new appear, etc. To that some natural disasters (or whatever) striking towns, the oldests/biggest/most fortified/higher ranked town the more harsh strike of cataclysm including levels drop. And the list goes on.
Of course thats rough idea, would be needed a lot of work to make it balanced to not fuck up mood of these who play long or have huge towns and in same time to give chance to compete to these who just joined game.
Posted May 16 2018 - 14:29
Mohawk, I think your opinion is a bit more realistic to say the least.
Posted May 28 2018 - 22:12
nice
Posted May 29 2018 - 06:43
Considering resets for the area that has an unlimited rounds, we might face new people coming in that have nothing and get caught in the 'reset'.

Well the resets could be a civil war or power plants/ oil plants disasters, or a new strand of virus being release.
And it can also be The Weather Considering the lore "A terrible winter is holding the USA in its grip." Maybe a very long term of winter.

Long term addition of stuff:
There should be construction of roads so you can reach acres and other town faster. More expansion of the city can be nice :D
There also should be a new kind, expansion or change of the technology tree (once some time is reached).

Random question: where is the market where we trade all the resources? We Trade so much food, wood, etc. we don't see trucks or cars carrying them...
(could be add later for now is fine)

Posted May 29 2018 - 08:24
Game events imitating reset need to be balanced and spread over time to not strike too harsh, especially not these who just started. Idea of reset is to decrease mainly these most huge and advanced towns and clear acres/facilities to make game more equal. It is obvious. You can name such events like you want, raiders wave, government intervention, new virus release, civil war... whatever fit to game reality.

Roads/rivers/terrain obstacles/etc. in game like this can be tricky to add, because towns and rest of locations are randomly generated. You have two ways (both sucks) to implement roads:
- make them stable attached to game map (but with randomly generated locations some of them will be placed far from and access to it will be not equal)
- make them attached/generated with towns (it is better way, but still every time when new town appear/old dissapear road system will be changed what can be a bit confusing)

About these cars from market what we cant see. Well, obviously not everything can/need to be show in game. When you transport income from acres you dont see cars with goodies on map as well. But thats ok, it is not detailed simcity game :)
Posted May 29 2018 - 22:17
i played a much more complex game like this for years called Travian, so I was pleased to find a game that didn't require such a balancing act that I couldn't leave the pc for more than a few hours. please don't over complicate things. offer another map maybe but for us players that are purist - keep a choice!
Posted May 30 2018 - 00:36
Hmm. Yes the map that we have is almost like a flat surface.
So about the roads, think trade stimulation will do for now :>

About the events that will "reset" the players, I agree should bring balancing according to towns than over all map.

There might be a simple way to implement environment/Terrian in this game:
-Each tiles (for now) can be: Steppe, Hills, Mountain,etc
-And each of them can have different relations with towns, recourses, units advantages and disadvantages, and etc.
basics should be fine, as in only implement the relation ship between town and terrain and not between towns.

But I think we should just ask for a pre-generated map that have the terrains,
this should not effect our choosing towns.

Posted May 30 2018 - 10:15
Dont worry, Jem. It is just loose discuss about possibilities.