The corona virus (latest news)

Page 2 of 2     12

Posted February 01 2020 - 22:26
The case here in Arizona is at home under "self-care."

I also heard the case of the elderly couple in Canada, were doing well enough to be released and sent home.
Posted February 01 2020 - 23:11
Going off on what YourFavouriteNPC has mentioned previously, I'd like to give my two cents on the latest Coronavirus issue.

As of now, the R-naught value for 2019-nCoV is 1.4-2.5 (in other words, each infected person would infect about 2 people during the course of sickness). While this does seem alarming, it doesn't really tell us much about how virulent (dangerous) the disease is. The values mentioned above are used exclusively in mathematical models, which make the assumption that the entire population is susceptible and does not take preventive measures against the disease. Moreover, while the estimated mortality rate of 2019-nCoV is about 3%, actual rates should be much less than that. Not all people who actually have the virus get sick enough to see a doctor and be tested positive for it. This puts it at a lower mortality rate than SARS and MERS already.

The world has also learned from past Coronavirus outbreaks, namely SARS and MERS too. The entire viral genome of 2019-nCoV has been published -- scientists around the world are working on a cure and a vaccine is already being in development. Preventive measures such as quarantine and cancellation of nationwide festivals in China has also helped curb it's spread by a huge margin.

While I'm not downplaying the threat of 2019-nCoV, it's important to not get completely freaked out at such early stages. The media definitely played a role in amplifying the panic surrounding this disease, but hopefully, we can be relieved in the knowledge that scientists have successfully nipped this issue in the bud.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to a video which explains 2019-nCoV pretty accurately and contains the information cited above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPF6_KRR_U
Posted February 01 2020 - 23:13
Thank you for this message.
Posted February 01 2020 - 23:43
No problem, I feel obligated as someone currently in this field of science to quell some of the misinformed panic caused by the media. This is a very hard time for everyone who lives in Southeast Asia (or East Asia), while the preventive measures taken by the public has definitely helped the prevent outbreak from getting out of hand, I have personally witnessed the toll it takes on their everyday life and mental health.

For everyone else around the globe, just remember to get your flu shot and don't do anything too stupid like book a vacation to the Hubei province (or anywhere in China for the time being, actually).

Also, can I say how awesome it is that scientists have managed to not only sequence the entire viral genome within 3 days, but also published it internationally for everyone's benefit? Such altruistic behavior doesn't happen often within the realm of research :P
Posted February 08 2020 - 02:38
I think this is more serious than people let on
Posted February 09 2020 - 20:20
Thanks for the update!
Posted February 11 2020 - 20:09
yeah, the principle of the middle school, (who is my friend) doesnt believe that the coronavirus is a threat, which I find ridiculous, she says that it's the chinese's fault that so many are infected
Posted February 17 2020 - 23:26
Any updates¿0
Posted February 22 2020 - 22:16
?
Posted May 16 2020 - 20:49
new news i have it ( this is not a joke )
Posted May 23 2020 - 09:19
Image[/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

Page 2 of 2     12