Planes

Posted February 06 2016 - 19:30
In addition to ground convoys, aerial transport in form of small single engine propeller driven planes(like the Cessna series) would be really good.

These airborne convoys can only carry very limited amount of resources and have a slight chance of being shot down at the start or terminal point. But these can't be raided. The "Gather random convoy information" will have a low chance to spot the planes. Planes can also be used to transport troops (10-15) to a LZ where transported troops can regroup for a massive offensive; or to give defending forces a backup in case another attack happens just after the first one(attacker sending more troops in or asking an ally to attack...).

The time of travel would be no more than one "tick"(game week or real hour). From the perspective of the game characters, it'll take a few days to service and prepare the planes to fly. This operation will take about a week for them, which is our tick.

Given the current game setting, building planes is a bit absurd; therefore additional units can only be found using the Special Ops "Scavenge goods" (a real low chance, but 10-20 at once if successfully executed).

Wouldn't it be nice to know that whatever you're sending will very likely get there without those incredibly annoying raids or ambushes ?
Posted February 06 2016 - 22:59
You have to remember a Country was just ravaged by a Deadly Disease and many of the Things you need to build a plane wouldn't be found. This is just a Small Game too, I mean there would be no real point, another thing is where would they land and take off???
Posted February 07 2016 - 04:47
That's my whole point : small number of really small planes transporting a small quantity of resources. I mean who wants to risk an entire convoy to get (lets say)200 stone across the map where there is a chance that by the time your convoy gets there someone might have taken over ? You have to remember it wasn't a zombie outbreak, just plain disease. And the planes I'm talking about can land on a small street if the need arises. You don't see them doing it right now because of the risk of collision with vehicles. But in the game atmosphere where people only live inside a few militarized states, you've got miles and miles of "runway".

And I made it really clear that you can't build them, you just have a small chance find them...
Posted February 07 2016 - 06:27
i could see it as an aid request from the government....transport x res to point y for z rep
but towns flying willy nilly over the map...nope
you wanna protect your convoys get your op level up
Posted February 07 2016 - 09:36
Although civilian planes are totally unfit for anything to be used in the current perspective, still they can be used to a certain degree of benefit. The question isn't about the protection of convoys but the time taken by them.

Air-raids using planes and C-4 on acres can be introduced, that'll keep destroying low defense structures and killing small amount of troops, weakening the land so that ground assault will be highly effective.

Or it can also be used for recon, giving entire and complete information about the target (Failure rate will have to be a lot higher than the current spying by agents to maintain balance).
Posted February 08 2016 - 15:23
I like the idea of planes.....bush planes can land almost anywhere and can carry a good load compared to their size.....
This is something that could be created and have limited use but be added to as ideas come in and the game grows.
Posted February 11 2016 - 19:59
The Idea is great, but I also agree that they should be hard to get and not possible to construct.

Maybe It should be sort of like finding a wild card in the random event, really rare. Although if you do find a plane, you should find 10-20 planes.
The reason being that it killed all the humans but did no damage to physical structures, such as air port. If that could be added, it would be AWESOME!!!
Posted February 11 2016 - 20:25
^exactly my point.
Except it'll be better if included in "Scavenge goods" operation, since finding planes isn't random. So like the few times you get extra operation energy, it can be included there..
Posted February 11 2016 - 23:43
I like the idea of planes. It has to be thought out well, so please keep discussing this, player input is always valuable to us. One idea could be that a plane has a (very low) chance to crash into a town it passes, destroying a house or other building, but also giving that town a x percentage of the goods it carried.